The BeadBeater™ is a unique but simply designed
apparatus. A solid Teflon® impeller rotating at high speed forces
thousands of minute glass beads to collide in a specially shaped vessel.
Cells are disrupted quickly, efficiently and safely. Being a totally
sealed system, no air is introduced into the preparation - no irritating
or toxic aerosols are formed. One can get better than 90% cell disruption
in less than 3 minutes. The apparatus is easy to operate, requires
no auxiliary supplies or equipment and is essentially maintenance
free. The beads settle out in seconds and can be re-used.
ideal for delicate proteins, enzymes and
||Powerful 0.43 HP
motor. Only durable, non-toxic components
|| contact product
for batches up to 100g (wet wt.) in 200ml
Highly efficient disruption in shortest times
cooling during homogenisation is simple and
Homogenising chamber: shatter proof polycarbonate.
350ml total volume, with chamber half filled with
glass beads the working volume is approximately
200ml. Rotor machined from solid Teflon®.
Motor Base: heavy duty AC/DC 0.43 HP single speed
motor in die-cast base. Rating 240V, 50Hz.
- When working with Bacteria use the 0.1mm diameter
- When working with Yeast/Fungi use the 0.5mm diameter
- When working with Most Tissue use the 1.0mm diameter
- When working with skin or plant material use the
- When working with tough samples use the same size
beads (as above) but chose a more dense material.
For example, most researchers prefer 0.1mm zirconia-silica
beads for disruption of spores or 2.5 mm zirconia
beads or stainless steel beads for extraction of
fibrous plant material.
- Glass Beads have a density of 2.5 g/cc (most commonly
used wet grinding media for biopreps)
- Zirconia/Silica Beads have a density of 3.7g/cc
(50% more dense than glass
- Good for spores and many tissues)
- Zirconia Beads have a density of 5.5g/cc (100%
more dense than glass - good for tough tissue)
- Stainless Steel Beads have a density of 7.9g/cc
(used mostly for dry grinding of leaves)
- Tungsten Carbide Beads have a density of 14.9g/cc
(not recommended for biopreps - leaves prep dirty)